Safety Tips for Driving in Boston This Winter
As most residents and visitors to the Boston area know, it can be tricky to navigate the roads once winter arrives. Since Boston gets close to 50 inches of snow every year, the roads often become wet, icy, and a disaster to drive on. Therefore, our Massachusetts car accident attorneys would like to provide some safety tips for driving in Boston this winter for your convenience. Talk to a car accident attorney at The Cashman Law Firm today.
Tips for Driving in Boston in The Winter
First and foremost, you should never try to drive if there is a winter storm currently happening in your area. You should stay home at all times to avoid an accident and possibly becoming injured. However, if you must drive in the snow or icy conditions, here are a few tips to help keep you safe:
- Only drive during the daylight, so you can see the roads as well as your surroundings.
- Never drive alone during the snow.
- Make sure snow and ice are completely removed from the windows, windshield, lights, hood, and roof of your vehicle.
- If you need to stop, make sure you hit the brakes early on instead of waiting until the last minute.
- Always drive slower than the speed limit if there is a winter storm occurring.
- Give yourself extra time to travel to your destination.
- Keep your headlights on even in the daylight to allow other drivers to see you.
- Wear your seatbelt.
- If you know that your route has a bridge, try to take another route, as bridges ice first.
- Before getting behind the wheel, dial 511 on your phone to learn about road conditions.
Common Causes of Winter Car Crashes in Boston
There are different causes for winter car crashes in Boston. Most of them are predictable, but we believe that everyone should still be aware of these common causes, which include the following:
- Drivers not being able to see well during winter weather conditions
- Drivers being distracted while driving
- The road conditions causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle
- Drivers going over the speed limit and not taking the necessary precautions while driving in inclement weather
- The car not being prepared or equipped to handle winter conditions
Phone Numbers to Call to Find Out Road Conditions and Car Accidents in Your Area
If 511 does not provide enough information about your area, you can opt for other phone numbers to try. The following are three phone numbers for three different areas in Massachusetts:
Central Massachusetts: (508) 499-5511
Metro Boston: (617) 986-5511
Western Massachusetts: (413) 754-5511
Reach Out to Our Boston Car Accident Lawyers Today if You Have Been Involved in a Car Wreck
If you have recently been involved in a motor vehicle crash and need to hire a Boston car accident attorney, The Cashman Law Firm is ready and prepared to take on your case. Our team has the experience and knowledge when it comes to these cases, and we will ensure that your case is heard and given fair treatment. Please fill out our contact form by clicking here, and we will give you a free case evaluation.